Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Who can apply?

You can apply for a grant if you meet certain criteria.

Group of disabled people


  • if you are disabled, or living with someone who is disabled
  •  the house you live in needs facilities or adaptations to enable the disabled person to continue to live there normally for the next five years. (We appreciate that in some instances due to ill-health, or other reasons, the disabled person is not able to live there for the five years, despite their intention to)
  • if you are owner-occupiers, social housing tenants, privately rented tenants or live in mobile parks and houseboats
  • are foster parents and there is sufficient proof that the child will remain in their care for the foreseeable future. 

How to apply

To apply for a disabled facilities grant or to request adaptations if you are a council tenant call Hillingdon's Adult Social Care on 01895 556633 or email socialcaredirect@hillingdon.gov.uk

They will ask you for some information about yourself. Depending on the nature of your needs, they will direct your enquiry and send you an application form for completion for assessment. Once you have completed and returned this, we will let you know if you are eligible for a grant and whether you will have to make a contribution towards the costs.

You will then be referred to an occupational therapist who will make an appointment to see you to assess your needs.

A grant surveyor will then visit you with the occupational therapist. They will confirm which works are eligible and necessary. The surveyor will draw up a schedule of work and where necessary, detailed plans. The cost of the works will then be determined and budget approvals will be obtained through the council.

Once funds are in place, arrangements will be made to arrange to undertake the works. When work is complete and invoices are received, the surveyor will visit you to check the work is satisfactory and complete, before recommending payment to the contractors.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 15 Feb 2017 at 15:50