Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Licence/Certification/Registration (Trading Standards)

The Trading Standards Service is responsible for the administration and awarding of licenses, certification and registrations for explosives (fireworks), Public Weighbridge operatives and sales of goods by competitive bidding.

Sale of goods by competitive bidding

  • The Greater London Council (General Powers) Act 1974 requires any premises used for the holding of auctions and other sales by competitive bidding to be registered with the local authority.

Further information » 

Explosives (fireworks)

  • The occupier must register all premises if they are used, or intended to be used, for keeping fireworks, cartridges, toy caps or other forms of product containing explosive substances.

Further information »

Licence to store petroleum     

The Trading Standards Service inspects petrol pumps within the Borough to make sure they deliver and charge the correct amounts. We do not, however, enforce the legislation aimed at ensuring that petrol is stored and used safely; the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority controls the storage of petrol at both public and private petrol filling stations and on domestic premises. Should you require any help or advice relating to petrol storage at petrol filling stations, or on domestic premises, please contact the Petroleum Group on 020 8555 1200 ext. 30859 or email petroleum@london-fire.gov.uk

Please note that storage in vessels at a workplace does not fall within the remit of the London Fire Brigade. Enforcement under these circumstances will be either The Health & Safety Executive if manufacturing, or Hillingdon's Environmental Health Officers if retail. Also, any issues concerning pollution emanating from the storing or use of petroleum products would be investigated by the Environmental Health Officers employed by Hillingdon, or the gov.uk environment agency if they could have an impact on groundwater.

Certification of a public weighbridge operator

  • To operate a public weighbridge, you require a certificate of competence issued by the Chief Inspector for Weights and Measures.

Further information » 

Other licences/registrations administered by the local authority

Other departments within the council administer a variety of activities. Visit Licences and permits for further information about each licence including how to apply online.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 23 Aug 2018 at 10:15