Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Certification of a public weighbridge operator

To operate a public weighbridge, you require a certificate of competence issued by the Chief Inspector for weights and measures.

Licence laws

How to apply

Anyone wishing to obtain a certificate should contact the trading standards service. The name of the person to be certificated, the address of the weighbridge to be used and the type of weighbridge must be given.

Arrangements will then be made for the applicant to sit an informal test. Successful applicants will be issued with a Public Weighbridge Operators Certificate. This is not transferable to another person and will only be valid for the weighbridge type(s) for which the person was tested.

Weighbridge operators must ensure that any weighbridge documentation eg the tickets, is in a suitable form to allow the attendant to give written statements as required by weights and measures legislation. An operator is also responsible for retaining weighing records for two years and for their production to trading standards officers (inspectors of weights and measures).  

Failure to do so, together with wilful destruction or defacement within that period, is an offence.

Eligibility criteria

 Applicants will be required to show that they can: 

  • operate the weighbridge satisfactorily
  • complete any weighbridge tickets and associated documentation satisfactorily
  • understand basic terms associated with the operation of a weighbridge
  • understand their duties as a weighbridge operator
  • understand potential frauds which may unknowingly be assisted by a weighbridge operator
  • understand how the accuracy of the weighbridge may be affected
  • perform simple arithmetic (use of a calculator is permitted)

Applicants should study the following topics as these will form the basis of the Inspector's test.

How to apply

Before applying for a test, applicants should ensure that they have received sufficient training in the operation of the equipment. Once an applicant is ready to be tested, he/she must complete an application form.

Apply online

An online application will require you to register with gov.uk, an easy process that gives you an online account that you can use across different government services.

Help is provided about online applications.

Apply now

It is the policy of this authority to limit the scope of any certificate to the weighbridge that the operator will be expected to use. Should the weighbridge be replaced or changed, a new certificate will be required.

Target completion period

The processing time for an application for a public weighbridge operator's certificate is ten working days.

What happens if your application is not processed by Hillingdon Council within the timescales stated?

If you act as a public weighbridge operator and you are not certified as being competent to carry out that function, you will commit an offence under the Weights and Measures Act 1985. For that reason, it is in the public interest that Hillingdon Council must process your application before it can grant a certificate of proficiency.


A public weighbridge operator must comply with these legal requirements. Failure to do so may result in court proceedings. The current penalty is a fine of up to £5,000 or six months' imprisonment or both. Some offences have a maximum penalty of a fine up to £2,000 only.

Failed application redress

Please contact your Trading Standards Service in the first instance. You may appeal to the National Measurement Office if your application is refused.

Certificate holder redress

Please contact the Regulatory Service in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, etc or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Trade associations

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:28