Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Shop front trading licence

If you wish to display goods on the pavement outside the front of your shop, you will require a licence granted by the Applications Processing team.

​What you need to know before applying Shop front

Licence laws

A shop front display of goods must comprise only of goods that are sold in your shop. In addition, the display must be on or within seven metres of the public highway, otherwise you will require a street trading pitch licence.

For shop front trading, you shall only display goods approved by the council.

Eligibility criteria

  • The licence will be issued for a six-month period; it is not transferable.
  • A copy of the licence must be displayed clearly in the window of the premises outside which trading is permitted. 
  • The maximum trading area depth from the shop front that can be licensed is three metres, providing that a minimum of two metres of public highway is kept free for safe passage and free flow of pedestrians.
  • A shop front trading licence authorises the display of goods. No payment or monetary exchange may take place within the licensed street trading pitch.
  • Only those commodities sold in the shop premises can be displayed outside the premises provided they are not any of the excluded items listed below:
    • alcoholic beverages, tobacco and tobacco products
    • lottery tickets, phone cards, raffles, tombola and/or other games of chance
    • medicines, drugs and other prescribed substances
    • uncooked meat or fish
    • new and used cars and motorcycles
    • pets and livestock 13 of 13 Street Trading Regulations
    • containers of liquid petroleum gas (LPG) including any which are fully or partly discharged
    • explosives including fireworks
    • goods considered by the council to pose a health and safety risk to the public
  • A separate street trading pitch licence shall be required in the event that a commodity that is not sold in the shop is displayed or offered for sale on the licensed street trading pitch.
  • Only those receptacles and containers that are suitable and fit for purpose and approved by the council shall be used by the licence holder and assistants for shop front trading or ancillary to shop front trading.
  • A display, receptacle, table or chair shall not be used if it is likely to damage the street.
  • The display/stand must be of a construction that will cause minimal damage if there is a collision.
  • We will permit an awning to extend up to a maximum of 30cm (12 inches) at the front of the licensed shop front pitch but no articles are to be suspended from the awning beyond the permitted area. Additionally, the placement of the awning must permit safe pass and repass by pedestrian traffic. You must provide proof of planning consent where relevant.


You should submit an application for the renewal of your licence no later than eight weeks before the expiry date of the licence. The renewal application process may take up to eight weeks to be completed.

Renewal applications received less than two months prior to the expiry date of the licence may be rejected and you will be asked to apply for a new licence.

You and your employed assistants will be asked to provide the following documents:

  • copy of a valid passport with work permit (if applicable)
  • proof of address
  • National Insurance number
  • £2 million public liability insurance cover
  • two passport photographs

How to apply

Street trading licence

Street trading amendment

Temporary street trading licence

If you prefer to apply by post or in person, you can download an application form to print off and complete by hand:

Once the application form is complete, email, post, fax or hand-deliver it to the Licensing Services team. Please note that we cannot process your completed form until we are in receipt of the current fee. If you wish to pay by cheque, please make it payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon. Alternatively, the fee may be paid over the telephone using a credit or debit card.

Fees and charges

What happens next

We will process your application as quickly as possible and, in any event, aim to process the application within 60 calendar days. If your notification is not processed within the timescales stated, tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Hillingdon Council by the end of the target completion period. If we have not contacted you, please contact the Licensing Services team.

On submitting an application for a licence or registration of an assistant, the applicant may be asked to provide the following to the council:

  • two passport sized photographs of the licence holder with the licence holder's signature on the back
  • two proofs of licence holder's home address and two proofs of the licence holder's business premises address (these should be no older than 3 months)
  • documentary proof of the licence holder's National Insurance number
  • public liability insurance certificate
  • documentary proof of a commercial trade waste agreement
  • risk assessment
  • proof of planning consent where necessary, or evidence of appropriate planning consents/or letter stating it is not required
  • proof of ownership or other right to occupy the premises to which the shop front trading application relates
  • such proof of having carried out consultation as may be required by the council
  • location and site layout plan
  • furniture appearance - sketch/photograph/manufacturer's brochure showing furniture proposed
  • premises licence (if applicable)

Failed application redress

Please contact the Licensing Services team in the first instance. If you wish to appeal a decision of the council, you may appeal to Uxbridge Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the date you were notified of the decision. You may appeal the decision of the Magistrates' Court to the local Crown Court.

Licence holder redress - licence revocation/variation

Please contact the Licensing Services team in the first instance.

The Licensing Committee will hear all applications for the revocation, variation, or suspension of a licence in the event that a trader significantly or persistently breaches such a licence.

Where the Licensing Committee or its sub-committee take a decision to revoke a permanent licence, the permanent licence holder whose licence has been revoked may appeal against this decision to the Registration and Appeals Committee. Temporary traders do not enjoy a statutory right of appeal to the Registrations and Appeals Committee against a decision to vary, revoke or not to grant a temporary licence. A temporary trader may instead apply for the judicial review of such a decision.

Any trader who is convicted of an offence contrary to the act or regulations made in pursuance of it, may be requested to appear before the Licensing Committee or its Sub-committee when the determination of the recommendation to revoke the licence will be made.

Any contravention of these regulations by an assistant shall be deemed to be a contravention by the trader whether the trader was present at the time of the contravention or not.

If you wish to appeal a decision of the council, you may appeal to Uxbridge Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the date you were notified of the decision. You may appeal the decision of the Magistrates' Court to the local Crown Court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service  will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, etc, or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 15 Apr 2019 at 08:15