Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Apply for an environmental permit

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in Hillingdon.

What you need to know before applying

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories.

  • Part A(1)
  • Part A(2)
  • Part B

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, for example emissions to air, land and water. Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air only.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions. Permits are available from the Environment Agency or Hillingdon Council (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within.

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency.
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the London Borough of Hillingdon, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency.
  • Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency.
  • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

How to apply 

Apply for an Part A(2) Permit

Change an existing Permit

Pay annual subsistence charge

Fees and charges

Fees for all applications [391KB].

If you are uncertain whether you require a licence, please use gov.uk licence finder.

What happens next

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via e-mail. Tacit consent does not apply.

Find out more about the application process [80KB] »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:19