Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Applying for a house in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence

If you own or manage an HMO with less than five occupiers, you DO NOT need a licence.

If you are unsure whether you require a licence, please read the following:

Designation of area in which planning permission is required to create an HMO [1009KB]

Houses in multiple occupation SPG [111KB]

Apply online  

Our online service allows you to submit your application, upload your supporting documentation, and pay the appropriate licence fee. Applications must be made online as paper applications are not accepted.

You will need to upload the following paperwork with your application form:

  • floor plans showing positions of bathrooms, toilets and the kitchen layout (must include room measurements and location of smoke alarms and heat detector)
  • a current gas safety certificate (dated within one year)
  • a valid electrical installation condition report/certificate 
  • a fire detection (alarm) test report (dated within one year)
  • emergency lighting report (only for three storey properties)
  • valid fire risk assessments
  • valid PAT test report

We are unable to process your application until we have received all relevant documentation relating to your application. You will also need a credit or debit card to make a payment.

Application process

A licence must be applied for before a property is occupied by five or more people. However, if your property is already occupied by five people and does not have a licence, apply immediately as provided the licence criteria are met a licence may still be granted. 

You cannot apply for a renewal if your previous licence has already expired. A new licence will be required.

The fees will be divided into two payments; 

The first will cover the costs of the council's authorisation procedures and formalities, for a full licence this cost will be £653. For a renewal licence fee the cost will be £500

The second payment will only apply if the HMO application is successful and will cover the council's running and enforcement of the scheme.  The remaining payment of £327 for a full and £235 for a renewal will be invoiced to the applicant and the licence will not be issued until the remaining payment has been made.

An HMO licence is only valid for one property. If you have more than one property, you will need a licence for each of them. Applications must be made to each council covering the area where each HMO is located.

We will grant a licence if:

  • the property meets the minimum standards for an HMO in Hillingdon
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person, the most appropriate person to hold the licence and is competent to do so
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory
  • the financial arrangements for the management are suitable
  • any necessary planning consents [1009KB] have been obtained 

We will visit the property from time to time to ensure that licence conditions are being met.

Licences will normally be granted for a five year period. The council may grant licences for shorter periods in certain circumstances, such as if works are required at the property or the council has concerns regarding the management arrangements.

Apply for a new licence

Renew an existing licence

What happens next

The application process, due to the thorough validation stages necessary, requires some time to complete. We aim to complete HMO applications within twelve weeks. 

Licence application representations

Please contact the HMO licensing team if you are not happy with a decision the authority has made.

If you are not happy with our response, you may appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal.

You must make any appeal within 28 days of the authority's decision.

Details of how to appeal will be available to the HMO owner/manager once the council has informed the decision.

Temporary exemption

If a licence holder intends to stop operating an HMO, or reduces the number of occupants to less than five (and can provide evidence), he or she can apply for a temporary exemption notice by contacting the HMO licensing team. When this runs out the property must be licensed or cease to be an HMO. 

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 19 Nov 2018 at 09:00