Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

For parents with disabled children

Obtain help and support through a Disability Living Allowance or Carer's Allowance.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is for adults and children who have a disability that means they need support looking after themselves and/or causes them to have difficulty walking. The DLA is in two parts:

  • a care component
  • a mobility component

Each has different rates of funding (ranging from low to high) depending on the severity of the disability.

You may be eligible to claim the care component if the child needs extra looking after - ie much more than a child of the same age without a disability.

To find out if you may be eligible and information on how to claim, visit either:

Carer's allowance

Carer's allowance is paid to people who look after a disabled child or adult. To claim the allowance you do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

Find out if you may be eligible and information on how to claim.

Extra tax credits for disabled children

If you're responsible for a child with a disability you may qualify for extra tax credits to help you with childcare.

You may be eligible for extra tax credits:

  • If your child is blind (or was within 28 weeks of making the claim) or is receiving DLA.
  • You may get an additional amount if your child is severely disabled and receives the highest rate care component of the DLA.

To find out more about how much you may get and to request a claim form please call the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900, textphone 00345 300 3909 (open 8am to 8pm, seven days a week) or visit the HM Revenue and customs - tax credits website for more information.

Direct payments

Direct payments are a way of arranging social care services for disabled children and young people and their families. Direct payments can be made to those with parental responsibility for a disabled child or children, this gives them greater choice and flexibility over how, where and when support services are arranged for them. The local authority will decide whether a child is eligible by carrying out an assessment of needs called a community care assessment.

As a parent you can use direct payments to buy a placement at a nursery offering specialist support, for short breaks, equipment, for personal care or to provide assistance for your child to attend an activity or after school club. Also, it could be used to employ a person to help support and care for your child as a day/overnight carer.

 More information on direct payments »

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Useful websites

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 12 Feb 2019 at 14:34