Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

In-year admissions

For children needing a school transfer during the school year.


An 'In-Year' application is any application for a school place made outside the normal admissions rounds (Reception and Year 7 and also Year 3 and Year 10 where applicable). The normal admissions rounds are for entry into school in September whereas the In-Year applications are for parents who either wish to change schools or who have moved to the area and need to start a new school during the academic year.

Making an in-year admission application

Whether you live in Hillingdon, or not, if you wish to apply for an in-year school place at any state-funded school in Hillingdon you can apply here. You can also apply directly to any school in Hillingdon that is not a community school (i.e. Academies, Foundation Schools, Free Schools, Studio Schools, Voluntary Aided Schools or University Technical Colleges). You may save time with your application by applying directly to a non-community school. A list of school types and contact details can be found below.

To apply for any local authority school you can use the council's Common Application Form (CAF). In the case of non-community schools the information you provide will be passed directly to the school and it will become their responsibility to process the application and make an offer where appropriate. Applications for community school places are administered by the local authority.

If you wish to apply for a school that is not in Hillingdon you will need to apply directly to the school or through the local authority where the school is based. Each authority has its own arrangements for in- year admissions and you will need to check with the borough or county to find out the best way to apply for a school in another area.

How many schools can I apply for?

You can apply for up to four community schools on the CAF, which will be ranked in preference order. You can also apply individually to any non-community school, there is no limit on the number of different applications you can make for these schools.

What's the difference between a Community and a Non-Community School?

Community Schools are schools run by the local authority. The land and buildings are owned by the council.

Academies, Foundation, Free, Studio, Voluntary Aided Schools and University Technical Colleges are run by their own governing body which employs staff and organises admissions. The land and buildings are usually owned by the governing body, a charity or a business.

See a full list of local authority schools [300KB]. This list details the type of school and has links to the appropriate application form or website.


Please read the further information on primary or secondary school in-year admissions before completing the in-year application form.

Apply now

You will receive a decision letter from the admissions authority for the school(s) you apply for giving you the outcome of your application.

Applications will be processed according to the Co-ordinated Admissions arrangements.

Common application forms are also available by calling 01895 556644.

Checking waiting list positions 

If you complete an online application for an in-year school place you will be able to check your waiting list position for community schools by using the reference number that is provided with your confirmation e-mail. We are only able to provide waiting list positions for community primary schools.

If you would like to check your waiting list position for academies, foundation, voluntary aided or free schools (including all secondary schools) you will need to contact the school directly. Please use the schools websites for opening times. Waiting list positions should be used as guidance only as your actual position may be higher or lower depending on offers made or applications received since the most recent update. 

Please be aware that Hillingdon routinely clears all community primary school waiting lists at the end of the summer term. 

Applications for families arriving from abroad, including from the EU, from 1 January 2021 

In most cases, children arriving from overseas have the right to attend schools in England. It is the responsibility of parents to check that their children have a right, under their visa entry conditions, to study at a school before submitting an application. 

Read more on the government website

Applying for a Reception or Year 7 place for September 2022

If your child is due to start Primary or Secondary school in September 2022, you will still need to apply through your own local authority from 1 September 2021. Hillingdon residents can find more information for Primary admissions or for Secondary admissions.

Applying for Independent (Private) schools

Please note that none of these arrangements relate to Independent (Private) schools. Applications and admissions to private schools are administered directly by the school. You can find further information at www.isc.co.uk.

Common application forms are also available by calling 01895 556644.

Applying for faith schools

For voluntary-aided (faith) schools you may need to complete the school's Supplementary Information Form (SIF) and return this direct to the school. You can access supplementary information forms via the relevant school's website or by contacting the school directly.

Children of nursery or sixth form age

Please apply directly to schools for nurseries and sixth form admissions.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 10 Sep 2021 at 17:13