Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Further information about in-year admissions

Please read before completing the in-year on-line application form.

In year applications are for school places outside the normal admissions round.

It is extremely important that a child has continuity in their education. For this reason the Local Authority discourages unnecessary transfers between schools. If a child is already attending a school parents are advised to discuss their reasons for wishing to change with their child's current school. It is rare that a transfer to another school resolves a child's difficulties and any difficulties are best addressed at the child's current school.

Who should make an in year application?

  • If you have moved and it is too far to travel to your current school.
  • If you need to transfer to a different school.
  • If you have recently moved to Hillingdon and have no school place.
  • If who wish to arrange for your child to start at a maintained school after a period of education at home or in an alternative setting.
  • If your child has an Education, Heath and Care Plan and you need a school place, a different team will be able to help you; contact the SEN team 01895 277088 for advice.
  • If you are looking for a nursery place you will need to contact the nursery you wish to apply to.
  • If you require a sixth form place (years 12 and 13) you will need to contact the school(s) you wish to apply to.

Before applying

When a child is currently in school we advise parents to contact their child's current headteacher to inform them of their intention to apply for another school place.

If you are considering moving your child to a different Hillingdon school because of a problem with a particular school, you may be able to resolve the issue with the school rather than changing schools.

Find your nearest schools and their results

Things to consider before transferring schools

Changing schools within the school year is disruptive and not usually in the child's best interests, particularly in Years 2, 5, 6 and secondary level.
If your child is studying for their GCSEs, other schools may not offer the same options as their current school, or if they do offer the same options, they may have a different syllabus or exam board. This could mean that the course work your child has already completed cannot contribute towards their final mark.

We recommend that before requesting a transfer, you discuss your reasons with senior staff at your child's school. They will be happy to discuss any concerns and help put matters right.

If, after full consultation with members of staff, you still wish to transfer your child to another school; you need to apply for an in-year place which can be complete online or over the phone by contacting 01895 556644.

You should not withdraw your child from their current school unless you have secured a place at another school.

How to apply

Parents and carers wishing to apply for a Hillingdon school place should:

Complete an application 

  • Call 01895 556644 to request a paper application form
  • Complete the application form over the phone
  • Apply directly to any non-community school

If you wish to apply for a school outside Hillingdon you should contact the local authority directly to determine their arrangements for in-year applications.

  • Many of our schools are full in all year groups and you may not be offered one of your preferred schools.
  • You will be offered the highest possible preference with a place available.
  • If it is not possible to offer one of your preferences, a place will be offered at the nearest school to the home address with a vacancy unless your child is currently in a local school.
  • You will be asked if you wish your child's name to be added to the waiting list of any school of a higher preference than the one offered.
  • If a child is currently in school parents will be asked to indicate their reasons for wanting to apply for a change of school.
  • You have the right of appeal for a place at your preferred school(s) if they are unable to offer your child a place.

When to apply

There is no closing date for in year applications. Parents should apply as soon as they know they need a school place for their child. However, if a school place can be offered, parents will have up to 10 days to accept or decline the offer. If they choose to accept an offer, their child will be expected to start at the new school immediately. It is not possible to hold places for a future date as this may disadvantage other pupils who are already on a school's waiting list.

Waiting Lists

If an offer cannot be made and you request your child's name is placed on a waiting list, it will be kept on the waiting list until the end of the school year for which you have applied. If you wish to keep your child's name on a waiting list for a longer period, you will need to reapply at the beginning of each subsequent school year. Waiting list positions are calculated according to a school's published admissions criteria, therefore your child's position on a waiting list may go down if the local authority or school receive an application from a child with a higher criteria than your own (e.g. they may live closer to the school you have applied to).

Proof of address

The address you give must be the child's current address, where the parent/guardian and child permanently live and will be taken as the address of the parent/guardian who is in receipt of child benefit.

By giving your council tax number we should be able to confirm your address details. We may however need further clarification to show that your child lives at the address. This could be the child's medical card or Tax credit award letter showing your child's details.

Supplementary information

In Hillingdon, the schools listed below require a supplementary information form to be completed. This can be obtained from the schools direct.

Primary schools

  • Bishop Winnington Ingram CE Primary School
  • Botwell House Catholic Primary School
  • Cowley St Laurence CE Primary School
  • Dr Triplett's CE Primary School
  • Guru Nanak Sikh Academy
  • Holy Trinity CE Primary School
  • Nanaksar Primary School
  • Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School
  • St Andrews CE Primary School
  • St Bernadette Catholic Primary School
  • St Catherine Catholic Primary School
  • St Mary's Catholic Primary School
  • St Matthew's CE Primary School
  • St Swithun Wells Catholic Primary School

Secondary schools

  • Bishop Ramsey CofE School
  • The Douay Martyrs Catholic School
  • Guru Nanak Sikh Secondary School
  • Swakeleys School for Girls (for Non Verbal Reasoning Test (NVRT))

Medical criteria

There are a number of schools that include a medical/psychological criteria, giving priority for children (or children with immediate family members) who suffer from a long-term medical condition that makes it necessary that they attend a particular school and where attendance at any other school would present significant difficulties.
Although each medical application is considered on a case-by-case basis, the intention of the criteria is that it should normally only be applied to children who need to attend their nearest school (or nearest suitable school) where mobility is a concern for either the child or a family member with sole responsibility for taking that child to school. The criteria may also be applied if a school has specific resources to cope with a particular medical condition. Currently, however, all schools are equally well-equipped to cope with any long-term medical condition that does not require an Education, Health and Care plan.
Decisions about whether to allow the medical criteria are made by the admission authority and are required to be fair and consistent. The admission authority for community schools is the local authority.

If you would like to apply for a school place under the medical/psychological criteria, you must supply details about the medical/psychological condition at the time of application and this must include written evidence from a GP/hospital consultant, clearly explaining why a place is required at one particular school and the difficulties that would be experienced by the child or the family were the child to attend any other school. A decision will be made by an admissions committee to determine whether the medical/ psychological criteria should be applied. The decision will be based on the evidence of need, rather than a doctor's personal recommendation that a place is required at a particular school.

Contact details

London Borough of Hillingdon
School Placement and Admissions Team
4E/09 Civic Centre, High Street, Uxbridge, UB8 1UW
Email: admissions@hillingdon.gov.uk
Tel: 01895 556644

Neighbouring boroughs


Buckinghamshire County Council
Tel: 01296 395 000 
Website: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk
In-year admissions web page: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/education/school-admissions/changing-school-in-year/


Hertfordshire County Council
Tel: 0300 123 4040
Website: https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk
In-year admissions web page: https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-admissions-change-schools-during-the-year/in-year-admissions-change-school-during-the-year.aspx


London Borough of Ealing
Website:  https://www.ealing.gov.uk 
contact online: https://www.ealing.gov.uk/homepage/32/contact_us
In-year admissions web page:  https://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/201116/in-year_admissions  


London Borough of Harrow
contact via email: education@harrow.gov.uk
Website:  http://www.harrow.gov.uk  
In-year admissions web page: https://www.harrow.gov.uk/schools-learning/-year-admissions-1?documentId=12978&categoryId=210281      


London Borough of Hounslow
Tel: 020 8583 2721 / 2711
Website: https://www.hounslow.gov.uk  
In-year admissions web page:  https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20029/in-year_admissions  
Email: admissions@hounslow.gov.uk


Slough Borough Council
Tel: 01753 875728
Website:  https://www.slough.gov.uk  
Contact online: https://slough-self.achieveservice.com/service/Contact_School_Admissions


Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 18 Oct 2019 at 10:16