Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Street trading pitch licence

If you trade in the street in Hillingdon, you may require a street trading licence from Hillingdon Council.

Pitch Licence What you need to know before applying

Licence laws

A licensed street trading pitch includes trading from a stall, stationary vehicle, mobile catering unit or fun fair rides. It also includes pitches operated for short-term events, for example one day.

If you wish to trade on a private forecourt or car park but your display or vehicle is within seven metres from the highway, you may be required to have a street trading licence.

Eligibility criteria

  • An application to be submitted in full.
  • Public liability insurance.
  • One passport photo.

Please ensure that you supply as much information as to what items you intend to sell and the location. Hillingdon Council may wish for additional information to be supplied.


  • You should submit the application for renewal of your licence no later than two months before the expiry date of the licence.
  • Renewal applications received less than two months prior to the expiry date of the licence will be rejected and you will be asked to apply for a new licence. 


Type of application Fee
Temporary licence 
eg from a stall, stationary vehicle, mobile catering unit or fun fair rides which is valid for six months
Permanent licence 
eg from a stall, stationary vehicle, mobile catering unit or fun fair rides which is valid for one year
Short term licence
First day 
Each day after 

Application changes Free
Contravention of trading conditions£90


If you are uncertain whether you require a licence, please use gov.uk licence finder.

How to apply

Street trading application

An amendment

Temporary street trading licence

We cannot process your completed form until we are in receipt of the current fee. If you wish to pay by cheque, please make it payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon. Alternatively, the fee may be paid over the telephone using a credit or debit card.

The local authority may, upon granting a licence, do so with relevant conditions attached. All applications will take into account all relevant representations as well as the council's adopted policy.

What happens next

We will process your application as quickly as possible and, in any event, aim to process the application within the advised timescale. If your notification is not processed within the timescales stated, tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Hillingdon Council by the end of the target completion period. If we have not contacted you, please contact the Licensing Service team.

Target completion period

ApplicationProcessing timeTacit consent
Application for a street trading licence60 calendar daysYes
Application to change a street trading licence90 calendar daysYes

Failed application redress

If your licence is refused or contested you will be notified of the appeals process.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Should you need to complain about, for example, noise, pollution, or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre in the first instance.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 19 Oct 2018 at 13:40