Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Early years, children, young people

Working with children and young people can be exciting, challenging and very rewarding.


Every child deserves the best possible start in life and needs the support of well trained and dedicated professionals to fulfil their potential. Working with children and young people can be exciting, challenging and very rewarding. A career in this field can offer flexibility around family life with plenty of progression opportunities, perhaps to full-time work, higher education or even setting up your own business!

Once you have decided that you want to care for children professionally, you need to consider the various types of childcare before choosing the career best suited to you and the qualifications required for this role.

At Hillingdon Adult and Community Learning, we can support you towards a career as an Early Years practitioner in nurseries or pre-schools, or a support role in primary and secondary schools, including learning support assistants, teaching assistants or learning mentors. These are some of the most common roles in childcare settings, but have you thought about more unique roles? After studying with us, you could consider a career as a:

  • registered childminder
  • hospital playworker 
  • community nursery nurse 
  • nanny/au-pair
  • family support worker
  • outreach worker
  • residential care worker

Whatever your choice, role or route you might choose, you can be certain that no two days will be the same. Our courses are designed to provide you with the knowledge, skills and competencies needed to support children to explore, experience and develop an understanding of the world around them as they grow.

Search and book course

Childminder briefing session and childminder initial assessments

The local authority regularly runs briefing sessions for adults wishing to become childminders. 

Book now

Following this, you can attend an initial assessment event for our childminding courses.

Childcare initial assessments 

To enrol onto a childcare course you will be required to undertake an initial assessment, these can take up to one and half hours to complete.

For further information or to book onto an initial assessment, please call one of our adult learning centres


Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 05 Aug 2019 at 15:46