Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Parents who marry following the birth registration of the baby

Following registration it is not possible to change the surname of the baby except by marriage to the baby's father.

wedding rings and spacer

If you do marry the baby's father at a later date you are required by law to re-register the baby within three months of the date of the marriage. This is the case even if your baby was originally registered with the father's surname.

Appointment to re-register a birth 

Alternatively contact the Register Office if you need to re-register the baby - even if you are outside the time limit: there are no penalties for being late.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 15 Nov 2018 at 15:30