Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Addition of father's details

If your baby's birth was registered without including the natural father's details in the register, you can apply for the birth to be re-registered at a later date.

copy certificate and spacer

Parents who marry following the birth registration of the baby

If you and your partner have married each other since the baby's birth, you are required by law to re-register the baby within three months of the date of the marriage, even if your baby was originally registered with the father's surname.

If you are re-registering outside the time limit, there are no penalties for being late.

You can re-register the birth so that a new birth record can be made to show your son or daughter as a child of your marriage by completing this form (LA1) [159KB].

Once completed, you can make an appointment for either parent to visit the register office to sign the new birth registration. You will need to bring the completed form with a copy of your marriage certificate along with you when you attend.

If you are unmarried and would like the natural father's details added to the birth record

You can apply for a re-registration to be made by completing this form (GRO185) [883KB]

Once the form has been completed, you can make an appointment for both parents to visit the register office to sign the new birth registration. You will need to bring with you the completed form GRO 185 to your appointment. 

Please note: your re-registration appointment may be cancelled and re-booked for a later date if your form is incomplete when you attend.

After the birth has been re-registered you can obtain birth certificates from the new registration.

Can't download the forms?

Forms can be obtained from the Register Office if you are unable to download them.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 15 Nov 2018 at 15:20