Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Noise from car and house alarms

What to do if you are experiencing a persistently sounding car alarm or intruder house alarm. How to register an alarm key holder and report it.

Car Alarm

Car and house alarms can cause problems, often when the householder is on holiday. The alarm system should be properly designed, installed and maintained to prevent false alarms. To avoid disturbance to the public, all such alarm systems must be fitted with an automatic cut-out device that operates after a period of not more than 20 minutes following activation of the alarm.

Please only report this issue if noise nuisance is persistent and for a prolonged duration such that a statutory nuisance may be caused, ie creating noise which is prejudicial to health or a nuisance.

What you can do

If you wish to report this issue, the following information will be requested.

  • Confirmation - you will be asked to confirm that the noise is continuous and has happened persistently over a period of time.
  • Description - of the exact times and dates when it occurred, how long it lasted, and what was the effect on you.
  • Details - precise name and address of the person causing the noise.

If you wish to report an alarm which is sounding now, and is persistent and for a prolonged duration, please phone the council on 01895 556000.  

Outside the times of 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, your call will be referred to the out of hours team which works from 8pm to 2am on Thursdays, 9pm to 3am on Fridays and Saturdays, and 7pm to 1am on Sundays.

If the alarm is sounding from a building owned by the council, it will be referred to the key holder who will attempt to deal with it as soon as possible.

Report noise

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 09 Apr 2018 at 08:59