Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Private water supplies and private distribution networks

A private water supply is a supply of water which does not come from the public mains supply but from one of a number of different sources such as boreholes, springs, wells and streams.

Water flowing into a glass

New regulations regarding private supplies were introduced in 2010 to ensure that water from private supplies is wholesome and safe to drink. The council is responsible for regulating private water supplies to domestic premises and to commercial premises when used for drinking, cooking, and washing.

What is a private distribution network?

When water is supplied by the mains water supplier to the boundary of a premise and the water is then further distributed by the owner or manager through their own pipe-work, or where the buildings supplied are not owned by the same company, the supply is classed as a private distribution network and becomes a private supply.

What should I do if I think I have a private water supply?

If you think your premise is supplied by water other than from a mains water suppler or you think you operate a private distribution network you should contact Environmental Health on 01895 250111 for further information and advice.

What will the council do?

If you have a private water supply the council has a responsibility to test the water and provide you with the results. They may also need to carry out a risk assessment which may include checks on storage tanks, water treatment (if applicable) and look at environmental hazards that could affect the water supply. If your house is the only one supplied from the source the council will only carry out a risk assessment at your request and they will charge for the service. Private water supplies to businesses will be routinely tested and a risk assessment carried out within five years. The council is able to charge for these activities.

Further information

Information on all water supplies can be obtained from the Drinking Water Inspectorate.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 09 Apr 2018 at 09:03