Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Planning rules in relation to houses of multiple occupation (HMOs)

From March 2013, Hillingdon Council has made changes to the planning rules for houses of multiple Occupation.


What has changed?

It is necessary to obtain planning permission to convert a family dwelling (Use Class C3) to a HMO with between three and six unrelated people sharing (Use Class C4) throughout the wards of Brunel and Uxbridge South.

Note: Planning permission is already required for properties shared by seven or more unrelated people. 

Why the change?

Article 4 Directions are issued where evidence suggests that undertaking certain types of development (where planning permission is not normally required) would harm local amenity or the proper planning of an area. In this case the council is concerned about the effects of high concentrations of student housing in certain areas.

What happens now

The council has introduced an Article 4 Direction under the Town and Country Planning General Permitted Development Order 1995(GPDO). The GPDO enables councils to issue an Article 4 Direction, setting out development type(s) that will no longer be permitted unless express planning permission is first obtained. 

Note: An Article 4 Direction does not prevent the development but instead requires that planning permission is obtained first from the council. This does not imply that the council will either approve or refuse the planning applications.

What properties are covered by the Article 4 Direction?

The direction relates to development consisting of a change of the use of a building to a use falling within Class C4 (houses in multiple occupation) of the Schedule to the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 from a use falling within Class C3 (dwelling houses) of that Schedule. It removes permitted development rights for this type of development from the date when the direction comes into force.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:52