Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

How your bill is calculated

The rate is based on two key elements over which the London Borough of Hillingdon has no influence.

Calculator and pen

Multiplier and rateable value

To arrive at the amount of rate to be paid, the multiplier (specified annually by the Secretary of State for the Department for Communities and Local Government) is applied to the rateable value for each property entered in the Local Rating List (which is compiled and maintained by the Valuation Office Agency, an executive agency of the Inland Revenue). Any allowances or surcharges applicable to an individual ratepayer are set against this base.

The council multiply the rateable value set by the Valuation Office with a multiplier set by central government. The multiplier, set by Communities and Local Government in England, represents the number of pence in each pound of rateable value that will be payable in business rates before any reliefs or discounts are applied. It is reviewed each year to reflect changes in inflation.

For 2019/20 the small business multiplier is set at 49.1p (the 2018/19 multiplier was 48p). The standard multiplier which includes the supplement to pay for Small Business Rate Relief is set at 50.4p (the 2018/19 multiplier was 49.3p).

What is a rateable value?

The rateable value is assessed by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), which is an agency of HM Revenue and Customs

A property's rateable value is an assessment of the annual rent the property would rent for if it were available to let on the open market at a fixed valuation date.

Until 31 March 2017, the rateable values will be based on a valuation date of 1 April 2008


The VOA regularly reasess and update the rateable values of all business properties, usually every five years. This is called Revaluation. This is to maintain fairness in the system by redistributing the total amount payable in business rates, reflecting changes in the property market.  Revaluation does not raise extra revenue overall.

From 1 April 2017, the rateable values will be based on the valuation date of 1 April 2015.

If you think your rateable value is incorrect, you can find and view your property details and appeal against the rateable value here: www.gov.uk/correct-your-business-rates

For more information on the 2017 Revaluation, rateable values, and business rates go to Valuation Office Agency revaluation

Contact details for the Valuation Office Agency are:

  • Non Domestic Rates London Valuation Agency
    Chase House
    305 Chase Road
    London N14 6LZ
  • Email: ratinglondon@voa.gsi.gov.uk
  • Telephone: 03000 501 501

Demand notices

Annual bills are sent out just before the beginning of the financial year, which runs from 1 April to 31 March.

Payment of business rate bills is automatically set on a 10-monthly cycle. However, the Government has put in place regulations to allow businesses to ask for their business rate bills to be spread over 12 months to help with cash flow. If you wish to take up this offer, you should contact us as soon as possible. It is important to remember that each instalment must be paid on or before the due date otherwise the whole balance becomes due in one lump sum and may be enforced by court proceedings.

What to do if you think your valuation is wrong

The London Borough of Hillingdon has no influence over the national multiplier or rateable value against which your property is assessed.

Any enquiries about rateable values must be submitted directly to the Valuation Office Agency at:

The valuation officer may alter the value if they believe that the circumstances of the property have changed. In certain circumstances the ratepayer (and certain others who have an interest in the property) may also propose a change in value. If the ratepayer and the valuation officer do not agree, the matter will be referred to an appeal by a valuation tribunal. Information about the circumstances in which a change in rateable value may be proposed, and how such a proposal may be made, is available from the Valuation Office.

Please remember that appealing against your rating assessment does not entitle you to withhold payments due on your account.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 06 Mar 2019 at 11:55