Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Legal notice

If you are planning to get married or form a civil partnership in the UK, there are legal preliminaries that must be completed before the ceremony can take place.

Where do you plan to get married/hold a ceremony?What you need to do
Marry in a Church of England or Church in Wales

Speak to the vicar of the church,

There is usually no need to involve your local register office.

Marry in a church or religious building that is not Church of England or Church in Wales, or in one of the many approved premises within the UK or at a local register office.

Give a Notice of Marriage or a Notice of Civil Partnership to a register office.

This is a legal procedure by which you declare your intention to marry or form a civil partnership.

Marry or form a civil partnership abroad

Ask the relevant embassy for advice. They will advise what documentation will be needed.

Please do this before contacting a register office as you may need to give notice to us. The rules vary between countries.

Please be aware we can only take notice for a marriage or civil partnership abroad from British nationals. If you are a non British national please contact your embassy for information.

  • If you and your partner are either British or EU passport holders - you need to attend an appointment at your local register office so you can give your notice.
  • If you or your partner are a non EU passport holder - you need to attend together, at a designated office. This is a register office able to produce legal paperwork for individuals subject to immigration control wishing to get married in the UK.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 23 Nov 2018 at 15:31