Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Building Control approvals

Building Regulations approval is usually required if you intend to carry out work.

Approval stamp

Works that require approval

  • Changing the use of an existing building.
  • Erecting or extending a building.
  • Installing or extending a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations. (This would include drains, some heating appliances and domestic oil fired heating or storage tanks).
  • Inserting insulation into a cavity wall.
  • Structural alterations, which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings.
  • Underpinning the foundations of a building.
  • Work affecting the thermal elements, energy status or energy performance of a building.

Permission is not required

  • Agricultural buildings and buildings principally for keeping animals - which are not used as a dwelling, are at least one and a half times their height from any building where there is sleeping accommodation and have a fire exit not more than 30m from any point in a building.
  • Carports open on at least two or more sides - the ends can be counted as sides and doors/windows are allowed between the house and carport.
  • Conservatories built at ground level with less than 30m² in floor area, safety glass and a transparent roof. 
  • Detached single-storey buildings with a floor area not exceeding thirty square metres - which do not contain sleeping accommodation, are located at least one metre from any boundary and are constructed of substantially non-combustible materials. For example, timber doors and gutter facia boards are acceptable. as are flat roofs with mineral chippings on felt covering or pitched roofs provided they have concrete or clay tiles.
  • Greenhouses that are are not used for retailing, packing or exhibiting.
  • Porches built at ground level with a floor area less than 3m² - which retain the existing house door.
  • Temporary buildingswhich are erected for less than 28 days.
  • This is provided that glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable requirements of the relevant Building Regulations (Part N and P).
  • This is provided that glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the appropriate sections of building regulations.

Note: For most domestic extensions, if a building is exempt from Building Regulations Approval or, you may still need to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations, which covers electrical safety.

Still unsure whether your building work needs Building Regulations consent or not

Find out more in the following ways:

Planning Permission

You may also need to obtain planning permission for your project, which is entirely separate from the process of seeking Building Regulations approval. Planning Permission relates to the appearance of proposed work and the effect it will have on neighbouring properties and the general environment.

Building Regulations are concerned with the constructional details of building works to ensure the health and safety of people in and around the building. Refer to the pre-application advice and guidance for more information on planning advice.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Dec 2018 at 09:53