Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search


Prior to undertaking demolition, it is necessary to comply with the notification protocols set out in the Building Act 1984. Any person intending to demolish a building must give 'notice of intention' to demolish. This is known as a Section 80(2) notification.


Since 1 April 2015 there will be a charge payable of £200 to cover administrative work involved in the issuing of Section 81 counter notices. The council has six weeks to respond with appropriate notices and consultation under Sections 81 and 82 of the act. 

Giving notice

You can now notify us of a proposed demolition by using the online demolitions application form, which is the preferred method of submission.

What you need before applying: 

  • site location - the location plan will enable us to pinpoint the exact whereabouts of a site whilst the highlighted block plan will clearly identify the building(s) to be demolished
  • block plans - the authority needs high quality block plans to help it determine which conditions are appropriate to be included in the Section 81 Counter Notice

These plans can be uploaded electronically when submitting the application form online and we must be informed at least six weeks prior to commencement. 

Apply now


If you have submitted the application online, you can also choose to make your payment electronically using either your credit or debit card by clicking on the 'online payment' button. Alternatively, you can send in a cheque made payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon for the appropriate amount to Building Control. This is applicable for forms that have been submitted online or in the post.

For applications that have been submitted online, please write the online reference number (eg OWC12345) on the reverse of the cheque when you send it in.

Please be aware that your application will not be validated until a cheque has been received.

Alternatively, if you intend to give notice in writing with a letter it should give all the usual contact details, including emergency mobile telephone numbers and an anticipated start date, as well as the statutory information. The statutory information needs to comprise no more than a simple statement confirming neighbours and key statutory undertakers eg gas/electricity boards have been notified.

The Fire Brigade and Health and Safety Executive should be courtesy consulted on special occasions, eg where a key access road may need to be temporarily closed and or the demolition is unusual eg explosive demolition.


The demolition must not commence until the local authority issues a Counter Notice (this is given under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984) or six weeks has expired from the submission of the demolition notice under Section 80.

When a contractor has received a Section 81 Counter Notice, or six weeks has expired from the giving of the demolition notice under Section 80, demolition can commence. Inspection of the demolition work, as it progresses, is important and the key stages will be commencement and tracing and sealing of relevant drains. Sometimes it will be necessary to shore up and/or weatherproof the surface of an adjacent structure and this work will also need to be inspected.

Demolition work must also comply with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 and a health and safety plan produced by the principal contractor. It is usual for demolition sites to be adequately hoarded off preventing unauthorised access by children. Notification should be given to the Health and Safety Executive if the building is thought to contain asbestos. 

Not giving notice

Failure to give notice can result in a fine of up to £2,500. No notice needs to be given under Section 80 of the Building Act for the following works: 

  • a house subject to a demolition order made by the council under the housing act under the Housing Act 1957
  • a demolition:
    • of an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied
    • of a building not more than 1,750 (50m₃) cubic feet in volume by external measurement although consideration must always be given to the requirements of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990
    • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage attached to another building
    • a detached agricultural building (as defined in the General Rate Act 1967)
    • an agricultural building attached to a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:26