Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Rent collection

Information on paying your rent and the Tenants Insurance Scheme.

Couple with a baby

Hillingdon council sets its rents at levels that meet the cost of providing the council housing service. The income goes into the Housing Revenue Account (HRA). This account receives no subsidy from the council tax or from central government. The council has to make sure that the HRA balances.

Rent increases take place in April. From 2015, the government has limited any increase to inflation plus 1%. If your rent is being changed you will receive:

  • a letter four weeks before the new rent is due.

Some tenants pay charges for services not received by all tenants: for example those in sheltered housing pay for a scheme manager service and TeleCareLine.

Most Hillingdon tenants pay their water rates with their rent.

Paying your rent by direct debit

Direct debit is the most convenient method of paying bills. It is quick and easy, and avoids having to wait in queues or remembering to post payments on time.

Your instruction to the bank remains in force indefinitely and, unlike a bankers standing order, does not have to be renewed each year. We tell you  the amounts and dates of the payments in advance.

Rent direct debit payers have the choice of either weekly or monthly payments

To set up a direct debit, please  ensure you complete all sections of the direct debit form [130KB] and return it to the rent account section.

Pay your rent online

Pay your rent

Paying for TeleCareLine

To pay for TeleCareLine by direct debit please request a form from the rent account section. When completing the form ensure you complete all sections and return it to the rent account section.

Payment cards

Tenants can use a payment card to pay by cash, card or cheque at a PayPoint.

Hand your payment card and payment to the operator, who will then issue you with a receipt. It is important you keep this receipt as proof of payment.

Request a payment card

When you receive your card (within 10 days) you will also receive a calendar to record your payments and a storage wallet together with instructions on how to use the card.

Lost cards

If your card gets lost or damaged you can request a replacement card at any time. You can do this online or by phoning the contact centre.  Note: the name you put in your form will be the name on the Payment Card and should be the same as your tenancy account.

If you have more than one account, we will need a separate form for each card, Please check the account type and payment reference carefully before you send the form back.

Your payment card is not a credit or debit card, it can only be used by you to pay your rent. The only information held on the card is your name and Housing Services payment reference number.

Trouble paying the rent?

If you think you may have trouble paying your rent, it is important you contact the arrears recovery team. We don't claim to know all the answers but we won't be able to help if we don't know you have problems.

The main help available is housing benefit. They may reduce your rent:

  • depending on how much money you have coming in
  • your personal circumstances
  • who lives in your home

Anyone can apply. If you qualify, the payments usually start from the week you send the form in. You may miss out if you delay in applying.

If you prefer to take independent advice you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0870 126 4021.

Behind with the rent?

If you get behind with your rent, it is important to act quickly.

You will usually get a letter from your arrears recovery officer telling you that we have not had your rent. Never ignore letters about rent payments even if you have already paid your rent. Let us know if you start claiming Housing Benefit.

Your arrears recovery officer can help you to claim housing benefit and will visit you at home if necessary. We will do everything we can to help you catch up missed payments. But you could lose your home if you keep your rent account in arrears.

High Income Social Tenant Policy [also known as 'Pay to Stay']

Hillingdon Council welcomes the announcement from the Government that it is no longer a requirement to charge a higher rent for social housing for some families. The obligations on those local authorities who decide to deliver the Pay to Stay scheme are onerous, costly and not in proportion to the issue. Hillingdon Council will not be implementing the 'Pay to Stay' scheme. 
The council remains committed to ensuring social housing goes to those in greatest need and successfully supports many residents every year to find suitable, affordable housing in a number of ways.

Tenants insurance scheme

The London Borough of Hillingdon does not insure the contents of your home.  It is the responsibility of every householder to insure their own possessions, such as furniture, decorations and valuables.

The cost of replacing damaged or stolen goods can come as a great shock to many residents. The council offers access to a contents insurance scheme with Aviva. We have negotiated very competitive rates and you can pay the premiums with your rent.

Key features

  • professional claims service
  • 'new-for-old' insurance
  • low minimum sum insured - £5,000 available for tenants over 60
  • those living in sheltered accommodation and £10,000 for all other tenants
  • spread the cost of paying your premiums weekly, along with your rent

Policy cover

The policy includes tailor made cover for a range of risks:

  • storm, fire, theft and flood
  • accidental damage to television sets, their aerials, video recorders, hi-fi's, home computer equipment, decoders and dvd players
  • accidental damage to mirrors and glass
  • wedding gift cover
  • visitors contents
  • theft by bogus callers
  • accidental damage to contents within the home
  • loss of documents
  • tenant's liability
  • cover for contents whilst kept in the home, outbuildings and garages
  • frozen food
  • locks and keys, and more...

Accidental damage cover

This policy gives you full accidental damage at no extra cost to you; providing you with accidental damage cover for contents, for example carpets. Limits and special exclusions may apply.

How to apply

If you have any queries or would like an application pack contact the rent account section.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 04 Jan 2018 at 14:54