Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Trouble paying rent?

If you think you may have trouble paying your rent, it is important you contact the Risk Management Team - Arrears recovery team.

We don't claim to know all the answers but we won't be able to help if we don't know you have problems.

The main help available is housing benefit. They may reduce your rent:

  • depending on how much money you have coming in
  • your personal circumstances
  • who lives in your home

Anyone can apply. If you qualify, the payments usually start from the week you send the form in. You may miss out if you delay in applying.

If you prefer to take independent advice you can contact the Citizens Advice on 0344 848 7903.

Behind with the rent?

If you get behind with your rent, it is important to act quickly.

You will usually get a letter from your arrears recovery officer telling you that we have not had your rent. Never ignore letters about rent payments even if you have already paid your rent. Let us know if you start claiming housing benefit.

Your risk management officer can help you to claim housing benefit and will visit you at home if necessary. We will do everything we can to help you catch up missed payments. But you could lose your home if you keep your rent account in arrears. Let us know if you have any changes in circumstance, start claiming housing benefit and/or Universal Credit.

Credit Union

For highly competitive ethical loans and savings accounts contact Hillingdon Credit Union or telephone 01895 250958 Monday to Friday between 10am and 3pm if you would like to make an appointment to visit the credit union office at the Civic Centre.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:57