Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Civil partnerships

Our Registrars Service is currently operating a reduced service. All existing non-priority appointments - birth registration, Citizenship ceremonies, Notice of Marriage and Notice of Civil Partnership - will be rescheduled and no new bookings will be taken at this time.

To give notice of civil partnerships you will need to produce certain documents. It is your responsibility to provide this evidence.

Every person wishing to register their civil partnership in the UK has to prove their nationality before giving their notice of civil partnership.

Please note: The notice of civil partnership is a legal requirement and must be given by both parties in person.

You must know the name of the venue where you are registering your civil partnership when you give your notice.

Arranging a civil partnership

  • When you visit the register office you will be interviewed in private and asked some simple questions about yourself and your partner. The registrar will complete a form for you to sign. This will then be displayed for at least 28 days on a notice board in the Register Office, which the general public are allowed to see.
  • After the 28 days have expired, a document called a 'schedule' which forms the basis of your civil partnership, can be issued. If you or your partner are subject to Immigration Control, the notice period may be extended from 28 days to 70 days.
  • Please remember you must wait at least 28 days after each of you has given your notices before the civil partnership registration can take place.

Documents required

When you give your notices of civil partnership you will need to produce certain documents, which are listed below:

You will need to produce evidence of your:

  • name
  • age
  • nationality
  • address

Preferred document would be a:

  • valid passport 
  • British birth certificate with a driving licence (only British Citizens who were born before 1983)

You will also need to produce one of the following:

  • a recent council tax bill
  • a utility bill (which must be dated within the last three months)
  • a bank statement (which must be dated within a month)
  • UK driving licence
  • letter from the owner or proprietor of the address which is the person's place of residence, confirming the following:-
    • the person giving notice has resided at the address for at least seven days immediately prior to the date on which notice of civil partnership is given
    • the person providing the letter is the owner or proprietor
    • the name, address and is signed by the person providing the letter

If you have previously been through any form of marriage or civil partnership in this or any other country, you will need to produce evidence that the marriage or civil partnership has ended:

  • a decree absolute if you were divorced in this country or an original final divorce document with translation if the divorce took place overseas
  • a death certificate for your late husband or wife if you were widowed
  • if you have previously been through a civil partnership you will need to produce documents showing that the civil partnership has been advised

If you wish to give notice of a civil partnership at Hillingdon Register Office you can make an appointment by telephoning 01895 250418.

Deposit and cancellation

Notice must be given in person at least 28 days before the civil partnership takes place. Each notice for a civil partnership held in the UK is valid for one year. If you decide to change venue, new notices must be given. You both must give notice in person - no one else can do it on your behalf.

A non refundable deposit of £35 per person is payable at the time of booking or £47 if subject to immigration control. If you attend the appointment, the deposit will be used towards payment for the notice. If you need to cancel or make changes to your appointment, two full working days notice must be given to re-arrange an appointment and two full working days notice are also required to cancel any appointment before a refund will be considered.

Please note: There will be no refund for non-attendance or if the appointment is abandoned by the Registrar.


In Hillingdon you have the choice of holding your civil partnerships at these venues.

Hillingdon Register Office is available for signings only.

For further information please take a look at our  Civil Partnership Guide [839KB].

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 25 Mar 2020 at 15:32