Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Apply for a personal licence

All sales of alcohol must be made or authorised by a person who holds a personal licence.

Licence law

What you need to know before applying

  • Applications for personal licences will have to be made to the licensing authority in whose area the applicant ordinarily lives, not from the area in which they work.
  • Personal licence holders may also be nominated as a 'Designated Premises Supervisor on a premises licence'. This means that they are responsible for all alcohol sales upon that premises.
  • Personal licence applicants are required to obtain an accredited licensing qualification plus DBS check.
  • A basic DBS certificate which must not be older than 28 days.
  • This certificate can be produced from Disclosure Scotland before submitting an application.
  • Only original documents will be accepted when the application is submitted.


Type Fee
Full application £37
Change of address or surname amendment £10.50
Lost of stolen badges£10.50

If you are uncertain whether you require a licence, please use gov.uk licence finder.

How to apply

The application will need to be submitted with the fee and two passport-sized photographs, one of which is endorsed as a true likeness of yourself by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

Change of address or surname

If you change your home address or name, please send the details in a letter together with fee and the original photo card and licence summary to the licensing section. A replacement badge can then be issued to you.

Lost or stolen badges

If your badge has been lost or stolen you should firstly report this to your local police station who will provide you with a crime reference number.

You should then write to the licensing section explaining what has happened and quoting the crime reference number you have been given, together with the fee. A replacement badge can then be issued to you.

What happens next

We will process your application as quickly as possible and, in any event, aim to process the application within 28 calendar days. If your application is not processed within the timescales stated tacit consent will not apply. This means that there is a risk to public safety, so it is in the public interest that Hillingdon Council must process your application before it can grant an approval. If we have not contacted you by the end of the target completion period, please get in touch with us.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 04 Oct 2018 at 13:30