Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

For parents with children aged 0 to 15, or 16 if disabled

The following tax credits help families with children and working people on low incomes.

Child Tax Credit (CTC)

CTC are for families with one or more children, and are based on total household income. You do not have to be working to claim CTC. If you're responsible for any children under the age of 20, in full time education or approved training, you may be able to claim CTC to help with the cost of looking after them.  

For further information, visit gov.uk.

What is Working Tax Credit (WTC)

You may receive WTC if:

  • you are a lone parent working at least 16 hours per week.
  • work a total of 24 hours a week if you are a couple as follows:
    • if you both work, your joint weekly hours must be at least 24 with one of you working at least 16 hours a week.
    • if only one of you works, that person must be working at least 24 hours a week.
  • you are resident in the UK and entitled to work here.

The childcare element of WTC

  • Are you a lone parent:
    • working 16 or more hours per week 
    • a couple where you both work 16 hours a week 
    • a couple where one of you works 16 hours a week and the other is either incapacitated, in hospital or prison or receives Carer's Allowance?
  • Are you using one of the following forms of childcare for your child? (They need to be registered with OFSTED or in the case of out of school provision, run by the school.):
    • Childminder
    • Nursery or playgroup
    • After school club or holiday play scheme
  • Is your child under 15 (or under 16 if disabled)?

If you can answer yes to all these questions you may be eligible for the childcare element of the WTC. Childcare provided by nannies and family members is not eligible for the childcare tax credit. If your child carer is not registered as a childminder, you may want to encourage him or her to become registered.

How much will I get?

The actual amount you receive will depend on:

  • how much you spend on registered childcare
  • the number of children under 15 (or 16 if a child is disabled) using registered childcare
  • how much you earn

How will I be paid?

Tax credits are operated by HM Revenue and Customs. Tax credits can be paid into a bank or Post Office account by direct payment. You can choose to have it paid either weekly or monthly.

Finding out more

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 28 Mar 2019 at 14:25