Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Children's work permit

Any child age 13 to 16 undertaking a part-time job must be issued with a work permit.

What you need to know before applying

If you are an employer it is your responsibility to notify Hillingdon Council that you have employed a school age child. If we are satisfied with the arrangements a work permit will be issued. Failure to do so could result in legal proceedings.

Working times

Children may work during term time for a maximum of:

  • two hours on school days
  • two hours on Sundays
  • five hours (13 to 14 year olds) or eight hours (15 to 16 year olds) on Saturdays
  • 12 hours per week

During school holidays:

  • a maximum of five hours (13 to 14 year olds) or eight hours (15 to 16 year olds) on a week day, subject to a maximum weekly limit of 25 hours (13 to 14 year olds) or 35 hours (15 to 16 year olds)

Children may not work:

  • for more than one hour before school
  • during school hours
  • before 7am or after 7pm
  • for more than four hours with a break of more than hour
  • without a work permit issued by the local authority
  • in any industrial setting eg factory 


Jobs children can do:

  • agricultural or horticultural work (subject to byelaws)
  • delivery of newspapers, journals and other printed materials
  • shop work including shelf stacking
  • hairdressing salon work
  • car washing by hand in a private residential area
  • work in a café or restaurant
  • domestic work in hotels and other establishments offering accommodation
  • work in a riding stables (a child under 16 cannot supervise riding or be left in charge of the stables)

Jobs children cannot do:

  • work in a pub
  • work in a betting shop
  • personal care in a residential or nursing home
  • work in a fairground or arcade
  • milk delivery
  • any other occupation that may be harmful to the child's health, well being or education

Both employers and parents are responsible for ensuring that each child:

  • does not exceed the permitted number of working hours
  • is in a good state of health for the work they are undertaking
  • is dressed appropriately to undertake the work they are permitted to do
  • undertakes only the tasks as stated in their work permit

How to apply

Once the application form [129KB] has been completed by the employer, parent and head teacher you can post or email it to our application processing team.

Please allow ten working days for your application to be processed.

Note: A child must have a two week break from any employment in one year.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column
Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 17 Sep 2018 at 09:33