Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Apply for a licence to store explosives

    1. Guidance to applicants


      Licences pertain to a person and not the premises.

      It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of, and comply with, the Explosives Regulations 2014.

      We, the London Borough of Hillingdon, will normally visit your premises before granting a licence. We may prohibit storage of explosives at the site if we believe the site is unsafe or no longer suitable. We may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.

      If you are planning to sell fireworks outside the normal permitted period’s e.g. New Year, Chinese New Year, October 15th-November 10th and Diwali, you will also need to apply for a licence to supply fireworks all year round to comply with the Fireworks Regulations 2004.

      1. General information on completing the application

      You should only use this form for fireworks, other pyrotechnic articles such as blasting explosives, ammunition and shooters' powders, black powder, bird-scarers, detonators and flares (i.e. explosives that do not require an explosives certificate from the Police).

      This form should not be used for an application for a licence to store the explosives listed below:

      •     relevant explosives

      •     ammunition the acquisition of which is regulated or prohibited by virtue of the Firearms Acts 1968 to 1997

      •     smokeless powder or percussion caps

      •     explosives stored by a person who is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968

      If you want to store the explosives listed above, you should use the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) form ER2

      You should only use this form if you want to store less than 2000kg of explosives. If you want to store more than 2000kg of explosives, you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive for a licence. You can find further information on licensing at: www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/licensing/how-to-apply.htm

      If you wish to transfer or replace your licence, please contact the Applications Processing Team for further details.

      2. Previous Convictions

      Please note: Any previous convictions you may have may be subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and you do not have to include convictions that are 'spent' on this application form. Where the application relates to a corporate body or company, you should list convictions of all directors.

      3. Fees and charges  Fees for all applications - 2016 - 2017 [233kb] - see 'Fireworks'

      We will issue a licence on an annual basis. Licences commence on the 1st October and expire on the 30th September.

      For applications made after 1st October, we will determine the fees for the remaining time period on a pro-rata basis using 3-monthly intervals. For example:          

      •     the fee for a new storage licence for 9 months (>250kg) would be £138.75 (three quarters of the annual fee of £185);

      •     the fee for a new storage licence for 18 months (<250kg) would be £105.75 (three quarters of the bi-annual fee of £141).

      We will only issue a one-year duration Licence to new retailers with no inspection or enforcement history.

      If you wish to apply for a 2,3,4, or 5 year licence, please note that we will take a proportionate, risk-based approach to your application that recognises the nature of your business and the likely lifetime of the licensed site. e.g. pop up shops, freehold retail.

      Factors that we will consider:

      •     new retailer with no inspection or enforcement history - we will consider extending the period of your licence at renewal.

      •     new site where the duty holder can demonstrate robust safety management systems and/or has a good history of compliance at another licensed site - we will expect to grant the licence for the period requested by the applicant (up to the 5 year maximum).

      •     existing site with a mixed or poor history of compliance (but where the site and person remains fit) - we will consider granting a licence for a short period.

      •     site with history of regularly requiring advice, where minor breaches have been identified at inspection, or that has, for example, a high (relevant) staff turnover - we will consider granting the licence for a period of less than five years.

      Please contact the London Borough of Hillingdon's Applications Processing Team if you have any questions about completing this form or about your application.

      4. Hazard type (HT) and quantity

      Explosives are classified into Hazard Types. Most fireworks and small arms ammunition are Hazard Type 4 and can be identified by the symbol, 1.4G in an orange diamond, which will be marked on the outer box. Some larger fireworks are classed as Hazard Type 3 and are marked 1.3G. Storage of Hazard Type 3 fireworks may reduce the total quantity that is permitted to be stored depending on the licence type and separation distances available on site (see Separation Distances below).

      We will need to know the hazard type and quantity of the explosives you wish to store to determine whether your store is suitable. The quantity we will allow you to store will be dependent on the hazard type of the explosives. Please contact your supplier if you are uncertain about the classification of your fireworks.

      The 'quantity' refers to the 'net mass' of the explosives. This means the weight of the explosive contained within an article (i.e. less packaging, casings etc.). In the case of fireworks and other pyrotechnic articles, you can assume this to be one quarter of the gross weight of the article - unless your supplier has provided you with information that is more specific.

      5. Separation distances

      Please see Regulation 27 of the Explosives Regulation 2014 and the HSE Guidance Notes.

      You will not normally be required to maintain separation distances if you store no more than one of the following:

      •     250kg HT4; or

      •     25kg HT3 (or combination of HT3 and HT4); or

      •     0.1kg HT2; or

      •     0.1kg HT1

      on one site. If you are unsure whether your store is subject to separation distances, contact the Trading Standards Service

      If you intend to store more than 250kg, you may need planning permission for your store. Discuss your proposed application with the London Borough of Hillingdon Planning Services, leaving yourself plenty of time to gain approval. You will need a Planning Approval Reference Number for your Storage Licence application form.

      6. Documents that you should submit with the application form

      A plan to a scale sufficient to show the location of the site in relation to its surroundings (i.e. named or numbered roads, hamlets, villages or geographical features). Where the site does not have a postal address this should normally be a minimum scale of 1:25000.

      If the store is subject to separation distances you will also need to provide an Ordnance Survey site plan (or similar) map showing the location of the store and distances to any neighbouring buildings. The plan should also show any areas where you intend to process or manufacture explosives where a licence for those activities is not required under regulation 6 of the Explosives Regulations 2014. The scale will depend on the separation distance. For a distance of up to 200 metres, a 1:1250 would normally be required while greater distance would require a 1:2500 or even a Super Plan. Where this plan clearly identifies the location of the site in relation to its surroundings, you can substitute it for the location plan referred to above.

      If you intend to store or display more than 12.5kg of fireworks on a shop floor, we will require you submit a floor plan of the sales area.

      If you intend to store, process or manufacture explosives within a building that is also used for other purposes you should include a floor plan showing the places within the building where you intend storing, processing or manufacturing the explosives.

      7. Renewal of licence

      If there have been no relevant changes to the site usage, layout or places where explosives are stored, or to the proximity of protected places to the stores since the licence was originally granted or last renewed, then it will not, in general, be necessary for a new plan to be submitted to your licencing authority.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:00