Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Removal of abandoned pedal cycles

Find out how to report a pedal cycle which has been abandoned on public land.


The council has the power to remove abandoned pedal cycles from areas of public highway.


A pedal cycle will be classed as abandoned if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • it is secured in a dangerous position (for example blocking the public highway)
  • it is secured to a council cycle rack and is in an unroadworthy condition
  • it is in an inappropriate place (for example illegally parked or chained to street furniture) and is unroadworthy
  • when it is reported by a member of the public and assessed as unroadworthy or in a dangerous positions
  • when it is noted as not having moved for a reasonable period of time (several weeks)

What is unroadworthy?

A pedal cycle will be classed as unroadworthy if it features two of more of the following:

  • flat front/rear/both tyres
  • missing wheel
  • missing seat
  • buckled front/rear/both wheels
  • bent forks
  • seized/damaged brakes
  • rusted chain/gears
  • missing chain

Report it

What if your bike has been removed?

Once a pedal cycle has been identified as abandoned a notice will be placed on the bike for 14 days before it is removed. Following its removal, the bike will be stored in a secure location for a further 21 days before it is donated to the charity Recycle-a- Bike who are based in Fassnidge Park, Uxbridge.

During this period should anyone wish to object to the bikes removal or seek to claim a cycle back, please contact the Transport and Projects team via transportstrategy@hillingdon.gov.uk or 01895 558391.

Please note: any owner wanting to make a claim on a removed pedal cycle will be asked to prove ownership by providing a description of where it was last left. If the basic evidence cannot be provided, the pedal cycle will not be returned.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

Please include your email in case we need further details (optional):

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email: contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related column

Contact us

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 31 May 2019 at 11:55