Putting our residents first
Top menu
Search our website: Search

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) was fully introduced into Hillingdon on 24 October 2018. UC is a benefit for people of working age on a low income, administered by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). It is a single monthly payment which replaces:

  • housing benefit (HB)
  • income support
  • income based jobseeker's allowance (JSA)
  • income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • child tax credit
  • working tax credit 

These six benefits/tax credits are known as legacy benefits.

Only claim Housing Benefit if one of the following applies:

  • you are a pensioner, from 15 May 2019 if you have a partner
  • both of you must be pension age - there are exceptions
  • you (and your partner) are in receipt of pension credit
  • you (and your partner) are entitled to the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) **
  • you live in temporary accommodation which has been provided or arranged by the council
  • you live in supported accommodation

Read more information about UC

If you need to make a claim for any of the six benefits/tax credits (listed above) and you are not one of the exemptions ** you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

The government have made videos explaining how to make a UC claim and the UC customer journey.

If you have any queries about making a claim for UC please call the DWP freephone helpline on 0800 328 5644.

Help with council tax

Help with council tax is not part of UC. 

If you or your partner are liable to pay council tax, you should apply for council tax reduction and provide any evidence needed to us to support your claim.

Existing benefit/tax credit claimants

If you are already claiming legacy benefits they will continue until you have a change in circumstances which mean that you have to claim a different legacy benefit or you are told by the DWP that you need to move to UC.

Existing UC claimants

If you are already receiving UC in Hillingdon or you have moved from another borough where you were getting it, your UC payments will continue. Any changes in your circumstances should be reported to the DWP.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are in receipt of the housing element of UC and need more help with your rent/housing costs you may qualify for a discretionary housing payment (DHP)

'Help to Claim' service

'Help to Claim' will provide free, confidential and impartial support to help people make a Universal Credit claim. People using the service can get advice on anything to do with applying for the benefit, including gathering the required evidence, filling in the application or preparing for the first jobcentre appointment.

Citizens Advice are committed to providing 'Help to Claim' across all areas of England and Wales. People will be able to access support on-line, over the phone and face-to-face through local Citizens Advice bureaus.

Anyone who requires support to make a new Universal Credit claim or is moving from a legacy benefit to Universal Credit following a change of circumstances can access Help to claim Universal Credit

Accessing 'Help to Claim' support is completely voluntary.

The service can be accessed any time until the first full correct payment of Universal Credit is in place.  

Credit Union

UC will be paid monthly into your nominated bank, building society or credit union account. It will be paid once a month in arrears, and not weekly. If you do not have an account you will need to set one up. 

You will not normally be able to have the housing component of UC paid directly to your landlord, so you will be responsible for managing rent payments along with other household bills.

For more information about bank/savings accounts, visit Hillingdon Credit Union or telephone 01895 250958 Monday to Friday between 10am and 3pm.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

* What would you like to report?
Broken link
Out of date information
Missing information
Report a problem with a service

* Please provide further details:

This feedback tool is for improving our pages. To report a problem with a service, please email contact@hillingdon.gov.uk

Your feedback could not be sent - please ensure you have completed all fields.

Thank you for your feedback.

Article utilities:  Bookmark and Share Print Print this page Last updated: 14 May 2019 at 12:05